Jerry Lee Lewis minor stroke

Jerry Lee Lewis minor stroke

Postby fede4avar » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:57 pm

Taken from facebook

Last night, Jerry Lee Lewis suffered a minor stroke. He is with his family, recuperating in Memphis and the doctors expect a full recovery. The Killer looks forward to getting back into the studio soon to record a Gospel record and on the road performing live for his fans. His family requests privacy at this time. Well wishes and prayers are greatly appreciated.

Fortunately, it is recovering, hopefully it is good soon.
fede4avar

Re: Jerry Lee Lewis minor stroke

Postby rockin532000 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:55 am

Just saw it on Instagram.

Take care Killer!

Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:53 pm

I hope and pray he will be fully recovered soon.

I wonder whether this is his first (minor) stroke/heart attack or whether he had (minor) strokes/heart attacks in the past already. That always remained a bit mysterious, but there were rumours.
wolfgangguhl

Postby RickyNC » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:05 pm

Prayers for jerry and a speedy recovery
RickyNC

Postby Tony Papard » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:40 pm

Whether this is the first stroke or not, surely it is a warning sign to ease up and avoid unnecessary stress? I think to say he will continue to be doing gigs all over the country is not realistic. He should seriously think about retiring. He could still record the Gospel album in or near his home, such as in Memphis. Traveling around the USA for gigs, etc. must be stressful for a guy his age. He could possibly still do occasional gigs at his club in Beale Street.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby Rocky » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:28 pm

I agree with Tony. Many artist retire long before they reach 83. Poor examples of ones that did not are Chuck Berry and Little Richard, who's shows were terrible in their latter years of performing. Fats did it right retiring at age 67 while still in good voice and shape. I know there are people out there that think Jerry is going to live forever...he's not. He's been walking unsteady for years now with a cane, and sometimes using a wheelchair. He's bent over and had many operations through the years. He has plenty of money and doesn't need this crap of doing shows. We'll never know an old Elvis (dead at 42) or and old Ricky Nelson (dead at 45) and others who died young...EX: Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Buddy Holly, etc. but we'll always remember them in their prime ... not as old geezers trying to die on stage.
Rocky

Postby wolfgangguhl » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:41 pm

So he has enough money? Did you have a look on his bank account? I doubt it.

I don't think that performing a few shows a year causes a stroke, rather inactivity and an unhealthy lifestyle (sitting around at home, drinking Sprite and Coke while having diabetes) do.

I also disagree that retiring at a certain age is what a musician should do. Music is not always about beauty. It is also about A Picture From Life's Other Side. Music is like breathing and to me any true musician will perform until he or she dies.
wolfgangguhl

Postby PeterC » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:03 pm

Although I'm not too interested in seeing Jerry myself these days, I'm with Wolfgang here. Over-working (as B.B. King did) is no doubt detrimental to one's health, but Jerry hardly does that. My only hope is that the stroke doesn't effect his still-sprightly piano playing. Whatever the future holds, I hope he makes a quick and full recovery!
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:29 pm

Rocky wrote:I agree with Tony. Many artist retire long before they reach 83. Poor examples of ones that did not are Chuck Berry and Little Richard, who's shows were terrible in their latter years of performing. Fats did it right retiring at age 67 while still in good voice and shape. I know there are people out there that think Jerry is going to live forever...he's not. He's been walking unsteady for years now with a cane, and sometimes using a wheelchair. He's bent over and had many operations through the years. He has plenty of money and doesn't need this crap of doing shows. We'll never know an old Elvis (dead at 42) or and old Ricky Nelson (dead at 45) and others who died young...EX: Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Buddy Holly, etc. but we'll always remember them in their prime ... not as old geezers trying to die on stage.

Long after ALL of us are dead and gone, no-one's going to remember Chuck Berry fumbling to find the right notes or Little Richard pushed on stage in a wheelchair. Instead, they will be remembered for the musical pioneers and incredible performers that they were in their prime, and the same applies to Jerry Lee Lewis.

Ironically, one artist who will, in part, be remembered for being past his prime, is Elvis. That's because he was still a big success when he died, as well as the fact that people insist on impersonating him as a fat middle-aged man in a baby-gro, rather than the outrageous wild man of the 50s or the handsome movie star of the 60s.
PeterC

Postby martin bates » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:08 am

wolfgangguhl wrote:
I don't think that performing a few shows a year causes a stroke, rather inactivity and an unhealthy lifestyle (sitting around at home, drinking Sprite and Coke while having diabetes) do.

I also disagree that retiring at a certain age is what a musician should do. Music is not always about beauty. It is also about A Picture From Life's Other Side. Music is like breathing and to me any true musician will perform until he or she dies.

I completely agree; it seems every show for the last few years everyone has commented how Jerry seems so happy . It can't be doing him any harm. It all seems under control and hopefully he will soon recover.
Some other peeps comments about selected artists support the theory for retirement; but you could just as easily argue Johnny Cash and Leonard Cohen continued to the end and recorded some outstanding work as a result.

Martin.
martin bates

Postby PeterC » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:36 pm

Anyone here know how he's really doing? We're being told that he's expected to be performing again soon, yet Kerrie says that Jerry is "in the hospital fighting for his very life". They can't both be true!
PeterC

Postby Piet » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:47 pm

And in the news here in Holland they write that he's looking forward to get back in the studio and to perform again. :D
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby Logan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:44 pm

Like all of us I am hoping he recovers. I'm praying for him nonstop! I think we can take it as a good sign that no shows have been canceled. His rep said that right now there's no reason to think all shows won't go on as scheduled. I'm paraphrasing a bit. But that's the biggest positive sign I think we can take. Jerry has come back time and time again, my money is on he'll do it yet again. There's no reason to to retire unless this stroke affects his playing abilities. Sure he has trouble walking but he can still play piano like nobody else and most days his voice holds up. There's wasn't shame in Little Richard being wheeled to the stage. Nor was there shame with Chuck Berry. I'm confident The Killer will rock will rock on! Doesn't he always? :D
Logan

Postby Logan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:52 pm

PeterC wrote:Anyone here know how he's really doing? We're being told that he's expected to be performing again soon, yet Kerrie says that Jerry is "in the hospital fighting for his very life". They can't both be true!

The fact that no shows have been canceled is a great sign! No disrespect to Kerrie, but I don't think she would be the best source.
Logan

Postby martin bates » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:15 pm

Piet wrote:And in the news here in Holland they write that he's looking forward to get back in the studio and to perform again. :D

In effect there are 2 versions - the official line put out immediately and repeated in numerous publications, and as apparently repeated on Holland, and then the post put out by Kerrie which seemed more serious. It seems to me after a quick check ,Kerrie has taken her piece off Facebook. Reading her comments she seemed very emotional and angry - and in the shock of first hearing the news maybe she reacted accordingly . Has Phoebe been in touch to ask about her father?

Martin.
martin bates

Next

Return to Discussions