How long did Leon Russel travel with Jerry Lee?

How long did Leon Russel travel with Jerry Lee?

Postby tchr » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:36 am

Leon Russell
April 2nd 1942 - November 13th 2016
Born Claude Russell Bridges outside Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1942, Russell began playing the city's nightclubs when he was still a teenager. While in high school, Russell formed a band called the Starlighters; upon graduating, Jerry Lee Lewis recruited him to join his touring unit.
"When I had a chance to go on the road with Jerry Lee Lewis. I'd just spent three days, twelve hours a day, taking entrance examinations to Tulsa University and I just thought, well, it's a waste of time, 'cause I have to study so many things I'm not interested in," Russell told Rolling Stone in 1970. "ROTC I had to take, and right away I knew that I didn't want to do that. I figured this was my chance to eat in a lot of restaurants and travel around, play some rock and roll music, which I decided was easier and better
."
This may have been discussed before, but for how long did Leon Russel travel with jerry Lee, and what instrument did he play?
tchr

Re: How long did Leon Russel travel with Jerry Lee?

Postby jayhawks » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:30 am

http://kool.cbslocal.com/2011/05/10/exc ... n-russell/

Exclusive Interview With Leon Russell
May 10, 2011 5:21 PM
Filed Under: Leon Russell 2011 interview audio, Leon Russell at Celebrity Theatre 2011, Leon Russell interview audio early years, Leon Russell on working with Jerry Lee Lewis, Leon Russell talks about Tulsa days
I'm a rollin' stone all alone and lost
For a life of sin I have paid the cost
When I pass by all the people say
Just another guy on the lost highway
jayhawks

Postby Rocky » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:27 pm

Leon Russell and his band the Starliters were playing at Cain's Ballroom in September of 1959 when he met Jerry Lee there. Leon was just 17 and played guitar. Jerry needed a band at the time and he hired them. Jerry had played Cain's a month earlier in mid-August of 1959 with his own band that included J.W. Brown. But a month later his own band left him because of the low volume of work. His concert dates had dropped off. Leon toured with Jerry throughout September and October, doing shows up north in Illinois, South Dakota, and Nebraska. On November 5th they were to play Veterans Memorial Hall in Kiowa, Kansas. Jerry was rushed to the hospital for emergency operation on his appendix. He cancelled shows on the 6th at Wichita Falls, Texas, and on the 7th at Vernon, Texas. Jerry was laid up all of November. However, at the show on the 5th, Leon took over on the piano and sang all Jerry`s big hits. No one asked for their money back. Leon played Jerry Lee like piano and sang a lot like him. But he and the Starliters had to get work, so they moved on. Leon had been with Lewis almost two months from September 1959 to early November, 1959.
Rocky

Postby tchr » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:17 am

Rocky wrote:Leon Russell and his band the Starliters were playing at Cain's Ballroom in September of 1959 when he met Jerry Lee there. Leon was just 17 and played guitar. Jerry needed a band at the time and he hired them. Jerry had played Cain's a month earlier in mid-August of 1959 with his own band that included J.W. Brown. But a month later his own band left him because of the low volume of work. His concert dates had dropped off. Leon toured with Jerry throughout September and October, doing shows up north in Illinois, South Dakota, and Nebraska. On November 5th they were to play Veterans Memorial Hall in Kiowa, Kansas. Jerry was rushed to the hospital for emergency operation on his appendix. He cancelled shows on the 6th at Wichita Falls, Texas, and on the 7th at Vernon, Texas. Jerry was laid up all of November. However, at the show on the 5th, Leon took over on the piano and sang all Jerry`s big hits. No one asked for their money back. Leon played Jerry Lee like piano and sang a lot like him. But he and the Starliters had to get work, so they moved on. Leon had been with Lewis almost two months from September 1959 to early November, 1959.

Thanks.
tchr

Return to Discussions