A story about Jerry & Janis Joplin.

A story about Jerry & Janis Joplin.

Postby PirateHook » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:46 pm

What do you think about this? Any truth in it? We all know that Jerry can be very rude from time to time: https://books.google.se/books?id=k6Aazx ... sQ6AEIHjAB
PirateHook

Re: A story about Jerry & Janis Joplin.

Postby PeterC » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:57 pm

Which page? I don't want to read the whole book.
PeterC

Postby PirateHook » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:47 pm

You should only have to click on the link and scroll down one step, at least it works for me. If it shouldn't just search for Jerry Lee at the left.
PirateHook

Postby PeterC » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:49 pm

It won't let me see anything now (apparently I've "reached my viewing limit").

Why don't you just tell us (copy and paste?) what it says?
PeterC

Postby Rocky » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:03 pm

June 12, 1970, Jerry was playing the Pelican Club in Beaumont, Texas. Janis Joplin made the short trip up from her home on Port Arthur, Texas, to see his act. She had a few friends with her. Earlier, she went backstage to see him at the Auditorium in Louisville, KY. That was on September 3, 1969. At that time she made a play for his young bass player, Ed Dubruhl, and was all over him. It embarrassed the young bass player to no end. Jerry wouldn't even talk to her. This time at the Pelican Club, she headed to Jerry's dressing room where he and the band took a break between shows. The room was cramped and not festive. Cecil was counting money on a small table and bodyguard Dick West was guarding the cash. West had a pistol stuck in his waistband. Jerry does not smile or react to Janis and her sister entering the room, except to follow them with a cold stare. In Louisville he was not exactly welcoming. Here, he was downright hostile. He said something about her looks and he slapped her on the face. She left the room angry at him. That's basically the jest of it.
Rocky

Postby PeterC » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:31 pm

Thanks. I suspect this is true, though I also to a large extent don't blame him. Janis was a loud and brash person, who could probably out-drink and out-drug The Killer!
PeterC

Postby Rocky » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:52 pm

You're right Peter. I never did care for her myself. Less than 4 months after this happened at the Pelican Club, she died from a heroin overdose on October 4, 1970.
Rocky

Postby Richard Harvey » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:19 pm

Rocky wrote: Here, he was downright hostile. He said something about her looks and he slapped her on the face. She left the room angry at him. That's basically the jest of it.

PeteC wrote:Thanks. I suspect this is true, though I also to a large extent don't blame him. Janis was a loud and brash person, who could probably out-drink and out-drug The Killer!.

Rocky wrote:You're right Peter. I never did care for her myself.

Yea, insult 'em and slap 'em. That's the style!
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Perk » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:00 am

I recall reading that Janis said, the only men that coud drink her under the table was Jerry Lee & Kris Kristoffersson. A legendary story of course.
Perk

Postby wolfgangguhl » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:16 am

Richard Harvey wrote:
Rocky wrote: Here, he was downright hostile. He said something about her looks and he slapped her on the face. She left the room angry at him. That's basically the jest of it.

PeteC wrote:Thanks. I suspect this is true, though I also to a large extent don't blame him. Janis was a loud and brash person, who could probably out-drink and out-drug The Killer!.

Rocky wrote:You're right Peter. I never did care for her myself.

Yea, insult 'em and slap 'em. That's the style!

I hope you realize that JLL does not share any of your progressive leftwing views on the world? He also loves Jimmy Swaggart by the way!
wolfgangguhl

Postby Richard Harvey » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:39 am

wolfgangguhl wrote:I hope you realize that JLL does not share any of your progressive leftwing views on the world? He also loves Jimmy Swaggart by the way!

Even the unenlightened can make great music!
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Ulli » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:54 pm

Weii, as far as I know, Janis slapped Jerry first, after he insulted her sister (1st version of the story) or insulted Janis by telling her sister 'she could be nice, if she wouldn't try to look like Janis'.
Then Jerry slapped back and threw them out of his dressing room.
One source also says 'Janis was behind Jerrys young bass player Ed de Bruhl'
Keep Rockin'
Ulli

Postby Richard Harvey » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:16 pm

Ulli wrote:Weii, as far as I know, Janis slapped Jerry first, after he insulted her sister (1st version of the story) or insulted Janis by telling her sister 'she could be nice, if she wouldn't try to look like Janis'.
Then Jerry slapped back and threw them out of his dressing room.

Do you know who slapped John?
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Ulli » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:20 am

Which John?
Keep Rockin'
Ulli

Postby PeterC » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:24 am

Ulli wrote:Which John?

PeterC