Has Jerry Lee finally really retired?

Re: Has Jerry Lee finally really retired?

Postby Richard Harvey » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:13 pm

I get sad when I see the shows I could have seen. I got my driving licence in 1984, yet didn't see any of the50's legends till 1991. Simply because I didn't know about the shows. When I saw Jerry Lee in Newport in the early 90's, I was amazed to see there was a whole magazine devoted to him! (Fireball Mail). I never knew!
--
Richard Harvey

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:15 pm

The old legends also never had professional management (until this day) and so the shows were never properly advertised. It was pure coincidence to stumble upon an ad.
wolfgangguhl

Postby Logan » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:19 pm

Glad to hear he's not hanging it up. Like everyone else I was beginning to wonder. I hope the surgery goes well, anything at his his age can be a little risky. But, Jerry Lee Lewis will probably outlive us all...In all seriousness I hope he does return to Europe, where I know I can always expect a solid report on a show and plenty of video. It would be great for all the fans.
Logan

Postby martin bates » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:35 am

When i became a fan back in the late sixties, I actually thought there was quite a lot of info about the older acts. Maybe I struck lucky but there were the Richard Nader shows in the US attracting attention & something of a push over here with the Sun intdrnational releases, Happy Days on TV , Bill Haley in the charts again etc. Come the early seventies Jerry & Chuck got massive coverage - My Ding a Ling . Chantilly Lace. Even Elvis' "comeback" & Johnny Cash at San Quentin when I read up about them there was more info about the other oldies. Record Mirror was very good as was Hugh McCallums "Haley News". I joined the Little Richard fan club as well as Lewis Scene and found gigs pretty well advertised from my first JLL gig in 72. To me the internet has been a source of great info, sharimg photos and experiences etc. not necessarly improving
martin bates

Postby martin bates » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:45 am

When i became a fan back in the late sixties, I actually thought there was quite a lot of info about the older acts. Maybe I struck lucky but there were the Richard Nader shows in the US attracting attention & something of a push over here with the Sun intdrnational releases, Happy Days on TV , Bill Haley in the charts again etc. Come the early seventies Jerry & Chuck got massive coverage - My Ding a Ling . Chantilly Lace. Even Elvis' "comeback" & Johnny Cash at San Quentin when I read up about them there was more info about the other oldies. Record Mirror was very good as was Hugh McCallums "Haley News". I joined the Little Richard fan club as well as Lewis Scene and found gigs pretty well advertised from my first JLL gig in 72. To me the internet has been a source of great info, sharimg photos and experiences etc. but can also be the source of mis-information and gossip. I think Jerry will always play as long as he wants to and there will always be an offer on the table somwhere. He does seem to be enjoying life, albeit despite his recent sad loss, so hopefully he will play if he wants to. BTW there is another gathering planned in Memphis next year from Scotts facebook group. I went to the club in May 2015 & there is a stage for regular acts. Linda has performed there and I think Jerry did one or 2 songs on one ocasion. That is in the main club.. I think the fan meeting is in the upstairs, and having not been present I'm not sure if the performers were there or if they retired to the main stage for the entertainment.
Martin.
martin bates

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:45 pm

He turned up at one fan gathering recently, perhaps he'll turn up at the next one and play a few?

It's hard to keep track of the fb JLL groups. I'm in the UK one, I think. To be honest, I like this type of forum format better, with proper threads with titles, and easily searchable. But it's easy to make a group on facebook, just a few clicks and there you've got it. I think I'll start a Jimmy Swaggart appreciation group. Invite all the prostitutes he's shagged.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Piet » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:03 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:He turned up at one fan gathering recently, perhaps he'll turn up at the next one and play a few?

It's hard to keep track of the fb JLL groups. I'm in the UK one, I think. To be honest, I like this type of forum format better, with proper threads with titles, and easily searchable. But it's easy to make a group on facebook, just a few clicks and there you've got it. I think I'll start a Jimmy Swaggart appreciation group. Invite all the prostitutes he's shagged.

I've still got the Penthouse with that article if you need it :P
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby PirateHook » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:26 am

Then Jimmy did his job, they should help them to better life!
PirateHook

Postby Rocky » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:40 pm

Jimmy never shagged any of them if you knew your homework. He was a watcher. Now Jerry Lee, that's another thing. His past episodes having sex with women would keep you busy.
Rocky

Postby Richard Harvey » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:29 pm

Rocky wrote:Jimmy never shagged any of them if you knew your homework. He was a watcher.

He's a hypocrite and a shitbag, either way.

Enjoy your homework, Rocky!
--
Richard Harvey

Previous

Return to Discussions