Has Jerry Lee finally really retired?

Has Jerry Lee finally really retired?

Postby tchr » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:28 pm

PeterC wrote: has Jerry finally really retired? As far as I can recall his last concert was 6 months ago, and he doesn't appear to have any more upcoming gigs.

I been wondering the same thing Peter, and think this deserves to be a topic on it's own.
tchr

Re: Has Jerry Lee finally really retired?

Postby PeterC » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:39 pm

Of course, back in 2012 he also did just one (short) performance, but he was suffering health problems then, as well as his first year of marriage after being single for a long time. As far as I know his health is ok now apart from the obvious effects of ageing.
PeterC

Postby tchr » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:45 am

PeterC wrote:Of course, back in 2012 he also did just one (short) performance, but he was suffering health problems then, as well as his first year of marriage after being single for a long time. As far as I know his health is ok now apart from the obvious effects of ageing.

Effects of ageing is one thing, and then lack of lack of performing is another.... But then again, as the "older" fans says, with Jerry Lee always expect the unexpected. :lol:
tchr

Postby Richard Harvey » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:19 am

Wasn't his last show in February? I've been wondering the same thing, about retirement. There aren't many performers who carry on into their eighties.
Anyway, even if there was an 'official' announcement, there's always the possibility of the odd show.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby wolfgangguhl » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:34 am

Not at all.

He is having a sugery on his shoulder this month and it will take a couple of months to recover. Afterwards he wants to play again, even wants to return to Europe.

B.B. King was still performing at 89, Chuck Berry at 87 and Little Richard at 80, so if Jerry really wants to be the last man standing, he still needs to perform for a couple more years. ;-)
wolfgangguhl

Postby Piet » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:21 am

I've heard he will run the New York marathon as well :D
Last edited by Piet on Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby Richard Harvey » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:38 am

Good to hear he's not thinking of retiring (thanks Wolfie).

Who would have thought that we'd be getting our Killer news via his wife on facebook these days? I remember the days of picking up NDT to see tour dates. When Jerry Lee did his '87 tour, I didn''t even know he was in the country! All I saw was local papers and the NME. I had a car back then, I'd have been able to see a few shows.
Last edited by Richard Harvey on Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:39 am

I will try to see all of his remaining shows, whether in Europe or the USA.
wolfgangguhl

Postby Richard Harvey » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:48 am

I'd like to see him do monthly shows in his hometown, like Chuck used to. I wonder how that JLL club on Beale is set up? It'd be cool for him do sets there. He went to a fan gathering there recently I see, but he didn't play, though there were others playing.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:27 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:Good to hear he's not thinking of retiring (thanks Wolfie).

Who would have thought that we'd be getting our Killer news via his wife on facebook these days? I remember the days of picking up NDT to see tour dates. When Jerry Lee did his '87 tour, I didn''t even know he was in the country! All I saw was local papers and the NME. I had a car back then, I'd have been able to see a few shows.

I remember, too, that it was incredibly difficult to get information about upcoming concerts in the days before the internet. When I eventually saw ads in newspapers or magazines I was moved to tears as I had no idea the old fuckers were still performing.
wolfgangguhl

Postby Richard Harvey » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:34 pm

wolfgangguhl wrote:I remember, too, that it was incredibly difficult to get information about upcoming concerts in the days before the internet. When I eventually saw ads in newspapers or magazines I was moved to tears as I had no idea the old fuckers were still performing.

I remember being in a hotel in Torquay (on the south coast of England) about 1983, and watching the local news. I was about 16, on holiday with my family. I was obsessed with 50's rock and roll already. Anyway, the news was all about Cornwall, and they were talking about local sports, and local news, and I was only half watching, then who should pop up, but Chuck Berry! He was being interviewed!
What had happened, he was playing a festival somewhere in Cornwall, and hardly any people turned up because it hadn't been promoted. He was there, at the festival site under a blue sky saying "it sure is a shame there wasn't a big crowd, it's such a nice festival, and the weather's been great". I was amazed! I didn't know he was doing concerts, much less actually in the country!

I expect that clip's lost forever, only being on local tv. I'd love to see it again.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Richard Harvey » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:48 pm

...I also remember buying my first Now Dig This, and there was a full page review of a Legends show in Spain. This would be mid to late eighties I think. Jerry Lee, Chuck, Bo and Little Richard. All on the same bill! I remember thinking 'if I ever see a show like that, it'll be the best thing ever'.
And when I eventually got to see JLL & Richard for the first time, at the horrible NEC, I didn't find out till after the tickets were on sale for two weeks, and I got shite seats.
Kids these days don't realise how it was before the internet.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:57 pm

The early days of the internet were exciting, too. I remember going to Pollstar looking for Chuck Berry dates. It would take the site about 10 minutes to load and when a new show popped up I almost got an heart attack.

The first days of the internet were still kind of special. It was very expensive and very slow. I remember my parents gave me permission to spend two hours on the internet each week. They could not afford more. Nowadays it is kind of too much internet. Some people literally live online, even at concerts they are constantly online with their crappy smartphones.
wolfgangguhl

Postby Rocky » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:07 pm

Actually, Pollstar is a poor source to receive tour dates. They only display about 1/3 of the dates for each performer. They miss many dates. Example... today they have 5 future dates listed for Mickey Gilley. I have 41 future dates from my source. However, just think if we had Pollstar back in the 50s to the 80s. Tour dates for Fats Domino, Jerry Lee, others.
Rocky

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:12 pm

Pollstar used to be better than it is now. I don't visit it anymore.

Back in the 90's it was a reliable source until I found out about a guy named Paul MacPhail, who knew about many more shows actually taking place!
wolfgangguhl

Next

Return to Discussions