Myra releases new book, “The Spark That Survied

Re: Myra releases new book, “The Spark That Survied

Postby Rocky » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:51 pm

Peter, I don't count booklets in box sets. These are just extended liner notes.
Rocky

Postby PeterC » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:55 pm

Rocky wrote:Peter, I don't count booklets in box sets. These are just extended liner notes.

The two books in the new box set are a LOT more than that. You obviously haven't seen them. They certainly put your own m̶a̶g̶a̶z̶i̶n̶e̶ book to shame.
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:58 pm

Piet wrote:I guess he's talking about Judith being a greedy person, this descripsion fits her good and i know there wil be people who stands up for her but i stick to what i know :x

I doubt if Judith is even writing a book, but I don't care if people make money from writing books about Jerry. Writers deserve to get paid just as much as musicians do. Anyway, NONE of the many books written on Jerry have been complete hatchet jobs (unlike Albert Goldman's books on Presley and Lennon for example). Sure, they mention the many negative sides of his character, but they also ALL strongly praise his musical talents.
PeterC

Postby PirateHook » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:38 am

Mr. Charles White.

PeterC wrote:
PirateHook wrote:He looks to be a descent man, i really dislike greedy people who only upsets others for some money that they could pay to keep their reputation up. But you must have getting the book for free?

What the heck are you talking about? Who's a decent man? You've lost me here.
PirateHook

Postby PeterC » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:03 am

PirateHook wrote:Mr. Charles White.

He's a crook. I'm certainly not the only person he ripped off. Yes, I got a free book (several weeks after it was available in the shops), but I was promised my name on the front cover, regular cheque payments and free trips to the USA. :evil:
PeterC

Postby PirateHook » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:35 am

I believe you! I can understand your anger because i know all the hard work you put on the Discography-Sessions-Live, and that was before internet era in the homes too. I have spent real much time sorting out his Sun sessions and a try to collect every different version/take/undubbed/overdubbed song from his later works too. And it's easy to get confused. But with a computer it's more easy to sort it out (Still not easy) But i know that you did all the work without any Computer. And i should not lie and say that i got the book because i haven't found it yet. But i will buy the book somewhere soon. I have wanted to read it for a long time. I do have these books:

Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On - Robert Cain.
Jerry Lee Lewis Rocks - Robert Palmer.
Hellfire - Nick Tosches.
Jerry Lee Lewis: His Own Story - Rick Bragg.

And i have these as text in the computer (Sadly without the photos in the books)
Rockin' my Life Away - Jimmy Guterman.
Great Balls of Fire - Myra Lewis Williams.

Edit: I got the two Bear Family books that comes with the box too.

PeterC wrote:
PirateHook wrote:Mr. Charles White.

He's a crook. I'm certainly not the only person he ripped off. Yes, I got a free book (several weeks after it was available in the shops), but I was promised my name on the front cover, regular cheque payments and free trips to the USA. :evil:
PirateHook

Postby PeterC » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:29 am

PirateHook wrote:I believe you! I can understand your anger because i know all the hard work you put on the Discography-Sessions-Live, and that was before internet era in the homes too.

I didn't just do that. I also provided some additional research, as well as transcribed at least 50% of the interview tapes (and of course only a fraction actually appeared in the book). It really was 2 years of my life.
PeterC

Postby Rocky » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:28 pm

Peter...let's get one thing straight. The only copy of my book the Ferriday Fireball you received was the first edition back in 2002. My book has come a long way since then and has gone through six major revamp printings. And if you are talking about the 2 booklets in the new Sun box set, a lot of the info comes from me through Pierre Pennone that is in those books.
Rocky

Postby PeterC » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:34 pm

Rocky wrote:Peter...let's get one thing straight. The only copy of my book the Ferriday Fireball you received was the first edition back in 2002. My book has come a long way since then and has gone through six major revamp printings. And if you are talking about the 2 booklets in the new Sun box set, a lot of the info comes from me through Pierre Pennone that is in those books.

At least I've seen one edition of your book. You haven't seen the books in the boxset, otherwise you'd know they're not "booklets". They're 10" hardback books. There's probably more words in Andrew's book than in Robert Cain's, Robert Palmer's and Linda Gail's, and Pierre's book has over 200 large pages. It was these books that was the biggest incentive for me to buy, even more than the music.
PeterC

Postby Jeroen » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:22 am

Check out the photo section on the fan club Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/jerryleelewisfanclub) for images of (nearly) all books.

There's is a new book out called STARS OF THE ROCK 'N' ROLL HIGHWAY by Victoria Micklish Pasmore
If Memphis is the birthplace of rock ’n’ roll, it spent its adolescence along U.S. Highway 67. Know today as Rock ’n’ Roll Highway 67, it runs from Newport, Arkansas, to the Missouri border. It is here that the first rock ’n’ rollers honed their skills, playing the small towns along the two-lane road.
Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins— Sun Records’ “Million Dollar Quartet” —These were just a few of the young musicians who performed their music in the school gyms, honky-tonks, and clubs that dotted Highway 67 with such colorful names as Bloody Bucket, Silver Moon, Porky’s Rooftop, and the Skylark Drive In Theater.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeroen

Postby Jeroen » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:07 pm

Myra states in her new book that her first book was originally published in 1989 and that it took her 5 years to write it. In fact it was first published in 1982 and was reprinted in 1989... Her new book does give some inside information about what's going on today at the Lewis Ranch...
Jeroen

Postby PirateHook » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:26 am

Are there any rare photos of JLL in the book?
PirateHook

Postby Tony Papard » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:28 am

I have read at least two other books which have substantial sections on Jerry Lee - 'Unconquered' about the three famous cousins and 'To Cross A River' (Jimmy Swaggart's autobiography)

I've uploaded a file to the JLL and Family forum which is my review of 'The Spark That Survived'. I wonder what the response will be? I don't care if I'm banned from that forum.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby PeterC » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:40 am

Tony Papard wrote:I've uploaded a file to the JLL and Family forum which is my review of 'The Spark That Survived'. I wonder what the response will be? I don't care if I'm banned from that forum.

Can you post it here so that us "unofficial" fans can read it too? 8)
PeterC

Postby Tony Papard » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:10 am

Book Review: 'The Spark That Survived' by Myra Lewis Williams (with Linda Hughes)
In this, Myra's second autobiographical book after 'Great Balls of Fire', she tells the story of her life rather than just about when she was Jerry Lee Lewis's third wife. Myra says she was advised, when writing the previous book, that nobody would want to read her life story, only about Jerry Lee. Well now she's written her own life story, and of course Jerry Lee pops up in it quite a bit, being her husband for 13 years and the father of their daughter, Phoebe.
Myra had to cope with being a 13-year old schoolgirl one day, expecting to go back to class the next day and later to High School, and literally overnight finding herself a married woman, never to return to school and with all the chores and responsibilities of a wife.
Myra grew up very quickly, furnished the house they bought together, did all the usual household chores, and of course gave birth to their first child, Steve Allen Lewis. The tragic story of how little Stevie drowned in their swimming pool is told in more detail. Elmo, Jerry's father, and Myra's Uncle George were also present at the house when it happened.
Marrying a rock'n'roll or pop star is not all roses, especially for one as young as Myra was. They are on the road touring for much of the time, and when home there is usually a large entourage with them. Myra describes how often she had to sleep on a mattress on the floor when the house was full, and reckons in their 13 years of marriage she only had about two weeks in the house alone with her husband (and their offspring.) There were, of course, the usual temptations for a rock'n'roll or pop star on tour, and eventually the marriage ended in divorce.
Everyone makes mistakes, and Myra writes very honestly about her own, such as the rebound marriage to Pete, who she suspected might have had problems with his sexual orientation.
However when she went into the real estate business she met her present husband, Richard, and they've been happily married for thirty years. He is very considerate, likes sports, and of course they keep in contact with Myra's daughter Phoebe, now happily married also.
Myra of course tells the story of Jerry's sixth wife, Kerrie and Jerry Lee III, and how when Kerrie finally left the ranch Phoebe moved in to look after her daddy and manage his affairs. Finding she needed some help, Myra's brother Rusty's wife, Judith, arrived to help out. Judith joined Jerry and Phoebe on a New York trip, and tasted the luxury treatment afforded to a rock'n'roll star and his entourage.
Of course the rest of the story is well known to fans, how Judith's marriage to Rusty ended in divorce and Jerry and her were married quietly at the ranch.
Myra was last at the ranch in 2006 for a photo-shoot for 'Rolling Stone' magazine, though Myra's photos were never used, much to her relief as she said the make-up and hair-do they gave her left a lot to be desired, to say the least. The code to the ranch gate has been changed and Phoebe does not have the new one.
As for Jerry, Myra confirms that he spends a lot of time in bed watching re-runs of 'Gunsmoke' and used to eat most of his meals in his bedroom.
I'm glad both Myra and Phoebe are now happily married with loving partners, and hope Jerry too is happy with his current marriage. Phoebe loves her daddy, so I hope contact is still kept. Jerry comes across as someone who needs looking after, and the baton has been passed on many times. Myra and Phoebe certainly did their bit.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions