Elektra outtakes?

Elektra outtakes?

Postby tchr » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:34 pm

Jeroen wrote:does anyone have the birthday tracks as a mp3 file? the tracks on facebook don't seem to be available any longer...

2010 - Honky Tonk Stuff (1979)
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=15 ... =3&theater

2011 - Filipino Baby (1981)
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=23 ... =3&theater

2012 - Mexicali Rose (1981)
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=43 ... =3&theater

I been wondering the same. Seems to remember there was alternative versions of Good News Travels Fast and Rockin' Jerry Lee as well.
Somebody out there for sure is sitting on some very interesting stuff they don't want to share with the rest of us.
tchr

Re: Elektra outtakes?

Postby PeterC » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:26 pm

Tore Christensen wrote:Somebody out there for sure is sitting on some very interesting stuff they don't want to share with the rest of us.

Rolf Bresser, who paid a lot of money for the Elektra outtakes (and still to this day threatens to sue anyone who has the Carbou tapes which also came from his collection). Wish he'd negotiate with Bear Family!
PeterC

Postby tchr » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:56 pm

PeterC wrote:
Tore Christensen wrote:Somebody out there for sure is sitting on some very interesting stuff they don't want to share with the rest of us.

Rolf Bresser, who paid a lot of money for the Elektra outtakes (and still to this day threatens to sue anyone who has the Carbou tapes which also came from his collection). Wish he'd negotiate with Bear Family!

I just don't understand what the point is just sitting there and holding on to these recordings without letting anyone lese hear them. Is it just because these are out-takes? How many out-takes do we get now on the new Bear Family box? Is Jerry against it?
tchr

Postby thrund » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:01 pm

Rockin' Jerry Lee
https://vimeo.com/75136495

Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues
https://vimeo.com/107389511

Good News Travels Fast
https://vimeo.com/140707115

Thomas
The best way to avoid disappointment is to not expect anything from anyone.
thrund

Postby thrund » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:10 pm

PeterC wrote:
Rolf Bresser...(and still to this day threatens to sue anyone who has the Carbou tapes which also came from his collection)...

Not true.
He gave all the Caribou Tapes (and final digital mixing) away to the Lewis family.....years ago.
....and he doesn't care about any Youtube upload etc. of the tracks (all from the first/older mixings)...also since years.

Thomas
thrund

Postby PeterC » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:03 pm

thrund wrote:He gave all the Caribou Tapes (and final digital mixing) away to the Lewis family.....years ago.

What a waste! Might as well burn them! :evil:

Rolf's other outtakes will probably die with him, just like Gary Skala's did.
PeterC

Postby PeterC » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:05 pm

Tore Christensen wrote: Is Jerry against it?

Who cares! Jerry & family (like most artists) has never been a good judge on what is and what isn't worth releasing.
PeterC

Postby thrund » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:20 pm

PeterC wrote:
....Rolf's other outtakes will probably die with him...

You are wrong.
He gave a number of the tapes of his collection away (also since years) to friends at them he can be sure they don't fill the own pockets.
(...or what do you think where my uploads comes from?)

Thomas
thrund

Postby PeterC » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:55 pm

thrund wrote:
PeterC wrote:

You are wrong.
He gave a number of the tapes of his collection away (also since years) to friends at them he can be sure they don't fill the own pockets.

Thomas

"A number of tapes" isn't the same as "All the tapes"... or is it?

... and, of course I'm grateful that you've shared a few tracks (as I'm sure others are), but I'd much prefer a 6-disc boxset and a booklet covering the 1979-1980 years.
PeterC

Postby peter molecz » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:06 am

PeterC wrote:
thrund wrote:
PeterC wrote:

You are wrong.

Thomas

"A number of tapes" isn't the same as "All the tapes"... or is it?

... and, of course I'm grateful that you've shared a few tracks (as I'm sure others are), but I'd much prefer a 6-disc boxset and a booklet covering the 1979-1980 years.

Let us hope, that the new SUN box will be a success.
The first real cooperation with Bear Family and Jerry´s fans should be continued with a new project. Many of us
prefers a possibly Elektra boxset including all unreleased recordings and takes produced by Bones Howe and Eddie Kilroy.
Peter M.
peter molecz

Postby PeterC » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:14 am

peter molecz wrote:Many of us prefers a possibly Elektra boxset including all unreleased recordings and takes produced by Bones Howe and Eddie Kilroy.

Many fans (myself included) consider this the last really great era of Jerry in the studio. MCA had some interesting material but was nowhere near as consistent in my opinion. After this he stopped releasing new albums regularly of course.
PeterC

Postby wolfgangguhl » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:01 pm

peter molecz wrote:Many of us prefers a possibly Elektra boxset including all unreleased recordings and takes produced by Bones Howe and Eddie Kilroy.
Peter M.

Yes, I am one of them.
wolfgangguhl

Postby Jeroen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:53 pm

thomas, could you upload a list of the Elektra recordings/outtakes that are still in the can (besides the Caribou sessions)?
Jeroen

Postby PeterC » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:04 pm

Jeroen wrote:thomas, could you upload a list of the Elektra recordings/outtakes that are still in the can (besides the Caribou sessions)?

Why not the Caribou Sessions too? There may be alternate takes etc that haven't been "released".
PeterC

Postby Sun281 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:09 am

I just want to confirm what Thomas said about Rolf's Electra tapes.

Rolf has already had all the tapes professionally mixed and copied.

Like Thomas I have a number of these original tapes. Some have lots of tunes on them.

Some of the tapes are on standard quarter inch tape and others are on 1 inch professional reels.

Graham
Sun281

Next

Return to Discussions