Rock 'n' Roll America: Sweet Little Sixteen: on BBC Four

Rock 'n' Roll America: Sweet Little Sixteen: on BBC Four

Postby PirateHook » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:51 pm

This is a great thing for the celebrating of the Independence Day! Apparently the episode one only featured about 20 seconds with Jerry Lee. BUT :!: it had a great short 1958 black and white video footage of Jerry Lee swinging his hair on the stage. :D I am very existing about it! For sure!!! I don't know where the video is from. Maybe London as it is from BBC? http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... le-sixteen

I saved this from Fb: Thanks to Giuliano Senatore!

PirateHook

Re: Rock 'n' Roll America: Sweet Little Sixteen: on BBC Four

Postby PeterC » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:05 pm

Just because it's BBC doesn't mean it's London / UK. Curious to know where it's from though...

Where in the documentary is the JLL clip? I don't want sit & watch all of it.
PeterC

Postby PirateHook » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:34 pm

Yes it may be right. I think he had more slick hair in London when he had that suit? I haven't seen the BBC link video since it only is available in UK. I found an 20 sec clip on FB so i don't know were it shows up.
PirateHook

Postby PeterC » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:05 pm

Well can you link us to the 20 sec FB clip then? Would be quicker and easier.
PeterC

Postby PirateHook » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:35 pm

It was posted in a group and i think you have to be a member too see it. But here it is. It was only 14sec, A bit disappointing. Let's hope there is more in part-2 http://sendvid.com/ragqs39c
PirateHook

Postby PeterC » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:29 pm

Did anyone find out more info on this tantalising clip?
PeterC

Postby PirateHook » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:58 pm

I will send them an email to see if i can get an answer. I am really interested in that short 2sec clip. There aren't many 1950s clips of JLL (That has been discovered) but this is more one. And i hope that they can broadcast it or release the clip. If they aren't expecting too much money on it. His suit and tie looks like in London on May 24, 1958. But there is one thing. His hair on the photos from this day shows the hair to be totally slick. And here it is dry. So it may not be from that tour. It was only a guess.
PirateHook

Postby PirateHook » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:33 pm

Anything is worth a try and i got this email back from BBC after they first thought that i meant the Steve Allen Show clip. So i sent them the photo on the first post on this thread:

Hello again,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

You’re absolutely right, this is a different clip from the one we directed you to before; the production team assumed you meant the Steve Allen one.

So we did a bit more investigation for you and the clip you mean is from a May 1958 news item about ‘frenzied rock’n’rollers’ being ejected from the Alan Freed Rock’n’Roll Concert.

It was sourced from Item who then said it was copyright of CBS News and after chasing that a bit further we’ve since learnt that CBS no longer have that footage and couldn’t find it on record.

So it seems that ITN may have the only copy and actually, in answer to your previous question, no it’s only a very short clip with no sound.

So there you are – hopefully that’ll make it up for misleading you before and thanks again for getting in touch.

With kind regards,

Richard Smith

BBC Enquiries Team
PirateHook

Postby Perk » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:53 pm

Great work Piratehook! Amazing that they actually took their time to give a good answer.
Perk

Postby PeterC » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:53 pm

Great work indeed! The answer doesn't surprise me though. I suspected it was a USA clip.
PeterC

Postby PirateHook » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:34 pm

Thanks for the respond! The BBC support is excellent and it surprised me to! If they had a money raise button i would gladly have given the man in the support a small amount. ITN have a website with a short 20sec Newsreel with Jerry, Myra and Frankie when they look at magazines before they left England in may 1958. I will send them an email too. It's a pity that the clip wasn't longer. i can't figure out why they filmed so short. It must be the taped being incomplete.
PirateHook

Return to Discussions