"Missing" TV Shows

"Missing" TV Shows

Postby PeterC » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Despite of the many DVDs (both official & otherwise) & YouTube, there are still quite a few TV appearances that have yet to surface. Below are shows that have a good chance of still surviving "in the vaults":

‘Dick Clark’s Saturday Night Show’ 1958 (he did 2 appearances – I have 1)
‘American Bandstand’ 1957 – 1964 (6 appearances – I only have the last one from 1964)
‘Hollywood A Go Go’ 1964 (2 appearances)
‘The Lloyd Thaxton Show’ 1964-1965 (2 appearances)
‘The Soupy Sales Show’ 1965
‘The Clay Cole Show’ 1965
‘Upbeat’ 1966
‘The Joey Bishop Show’ 1968
‘The Merv Griffin Show’ 1969-1971 (2 appearances)
‘The Mike Neun Show’ 1971
‘The Andy Williams Show’ 1971
‘The Dick Cavett Show’ 1971
Live in Brussels 1972 (40 minute TV broadcast)
‘The Jerry Lewis Telethon’ 1979
Yugoslavia 1991 (news report)

Note that I haven't included Alan Freed's or Patti Page's '50s TV shows, nor things like 'Cal's Corral' 1959, 'Scene At 6:30' 1963 & the Panther Hall 1966 TV broadcast; these almost certainly no longer exist except as audios.

Of course, JLL isn't the only artist with "missing" footage; see my blog for many more by some of my other faves!

http://musicdvdslist.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/my-music-dvd-wants-list_25.html
Last edited by PeterC on Tue May 07, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeterC

Re: "Missing" TV Shows

Postby PeterC » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:18 pm

Any I've missed???

There's probably more live unbroadcast footage in the vaults, such as Stavangar 1987 & Rome 1987 (though sadly the BBC didn't keep their outtakes of Bristol '83 or the 80s Wembley shows). Another thing I'd love to see is Jerry's full 40 minute Wembley Stadium '72 performance, if the footage still exists that is...
PeterC

Postby Dirk B. » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:59 pm

I'm still dreaming of some sort of director's cut or an expanded edition of the "London R&R Show". The show was very poorly edited - for example none of the Little Richard songs are complete - it's all just parts.
Dirk B.

Postby PeterC » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:05 pm

Dirk B. wrote:I'm still dreaming of some sort of director's cut or an expanded edition of the "London R&R Show". The show was very poorly edited - for example none of the Little Richard songs are complete - it's all just parts.

Definitely! Also a few "extra" songs have turned up elsewhere (Chantilly Lace by JLL, Shake Rattle & Roll by Bill, Bring It To Jerome by Bo).
PeterC

Postby Akiller » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:27 pm

I saw "Andy Williams 6/2/1971 Show" on finnish television. Jerry was great, he sang 3 pieces: There must be more to love than this and a medley of Whole Lotta Shaking and Great Balls of Fire. Of course there was then no videotapers, but I taped Jerry´s
part on a c-casette, which is still playable. Last march I browsed Andy Williams Shows on net and to my knowlidge that 6/2/1971
show is available on VHS-video or DVD, tv.com is one site to begin.
Akiller

Postby PeterC » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:56 pm

Akiller wrote:I saw "Andy Williams 6/2/1971 Show" on finnish television. Jerry was great, he sang 3 pieces: There must be more to love than this and a medley of Whole Lotta Shaking and Great Balls of Fire. Of course there was then no videotapers, but I taped Jerry´s
part on a c-casette, which is still playable. Last march I browsed Andy Williams Shows on net and to my knowlidge that 6/2/1971
show is available on VHS-video or DVD, tv.com is one site to begin.

I have the audio of this too, plus several of the other shows I mentioned. This edition of the show is definitely not available on VHS or DVD though (& yes, tv.com is one of the sites I use for my research).

Another thing that probably still exists is the European version of 'This Is Tom Jones'. Unlike the U.S. version, this was only filmed in black & white, & they both wore their suits throughout the show (no "casual" clothing).

All of the TV shows that I've mentioned have at least some editions still available (some officially), that's why I listed them. However, this doesn't guarantee that Jerry's performances still exist (for example, not all editions of 'Upbeat' survive).
PeterC

Postby Piet » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:05 pm

It's a shame that the Brussels show 1972 no longer excist, I saw the broadcast at that time and still remember a very drunk JLL singing a beautiful version of "Pledging my love",
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby PeterC » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Piet wrote:It's a shame that the Brussels show 1972 no longer excist, I saw the broadcast at that time and still remember a very drunk JLL singing a beautiful version of "Pledging my love",

Do you know for sure that it doesn't exist Piet? European (not UK) stations tended to look after their archives much better than the UK & USA.

Something else that makes me believe that someone has this is that around 12 years ago the audio suddenly surfaced, & in pretty good quality too (certainly not the usual microphone-in-front-of-the-TV job that other TV show audios from this time have).
PeterC

Postby Piet » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:09 pm

There were no VCR's at that time but audio is possible.
A Belgium friend did research at the Belgium TV and they told him the tape was destroyed, missing or overtaped.
That's all I know :x
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby PeterC » Wed May 01, 2013 12:09 am

Piet wrote:There were no VCR's at that time but audio is possible.
A Belgium friend did research at the Belgium TV and they told him the tape was destroyed, missing or overtaped.
That's all I know :x

Well let's hope you're wrong! :wink:
PeterC

Postby PianoLidAgain » Wed May 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Many "missing" American tv shows end up in the vaults of Research Video. They're an aggravation to fans as they deal only with film production companies and they either don't have a complete catalog of what they own or if they do, aren't sharing it.

I remember reading how ABC donated a load of film stock to one of the Southern California film schools. When the supposedly blank tape turned out to be unerased episodes of "The Joey Bishop Show," the college sent the lot to Research Video. Now it doesn't appear from their website they have the 26 June 1968 episode, but you can't tell for sure unless you request (and pay for I'm sure) an archival search.

PeterC wrote:Very rare footage from circa 1968!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eujZ_7t_O2w
Could the above actually be a promotional film rather than a TV appearance?

Or a kind of audition tape. In the spring of 1968, a clip like this would reassure booking producers that this brand new country act was not too...agricultural.
PianoLidAgain

Postby PeterC » Thu May 02, 2013 8:11 am

PianoLidAgain wrote:Many "missing" American tv shows end up in the vaults of Research Video. They're an aggravation to fans as they deal only with film production companies and they either don't have a complete catalog of what they own or if they do, aren't sharing it.

I remember reading how ABC donated a load of film stock to one of the Southern California film schools. When the supposedly blank tape turned out to be unerased episodes of "The Joey Bishop Show," the college sent the lot to Research Video. Now it doesn't appear from their website they have the 26 June 1968 episode, but you can't tell for sure unless you request (and pay for I'm sure) an archival search.

Yes, I've seen this site too. What we really need is someone from a film production company to help us.

A few years ago 5 of us bought Jerry's appearance on 'The Mike Douglas Show' (price $300 I think).
PeterC

Postby Perk » Fri May 03, 2013 7:45 am

"A few years ago 5 of us bought Jerry's appearance on 'The Mike Douglas Show' (price $300 I think)."

It was 3000 dollars originally per minute. But thanks to one fan that managed it all and managed to get the price down, the rest of us 5 or 6 only had to pay about 120 dollars each.

All too expensive to do this for all the other shows we need.
Perk

Postby PeterC » Tue May 07, 2013 8:45 am

PeterC wrote:Despite of the many DVDs (both official & otherwise) & YouTube, there are still quite a few TV appearances that have yet to surface. Below are shows that have a good chance of still surviving "in the vaults":

‘American Bandstand’ 1957 – 1964 (6 appearances – I only have the last one from 1964)

I keep getting messages from people telling me that a '50s appearance on 'American Bandstand' is on YouTube, but this is 'Dick Clark's Saturday Night Show' (later called 'Dick Clark's Saturday Night Beechnut Show'):

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-dick-clark-saturday-night-beechnut-show/

PeterC

Postby tchr » Tue May 07, 2013 11:24 am

PeterC wrote:Despite of the many DVDs (both official & otherwise) & YouTube, there are still quite a few TV appearances that have yet to surface. Below are shows that have a good chance of still surviving "in the vaults":

‘Hollywood A Go Go’ 1964 (2 appearances)
‘The Lloyd Thaxton Show’ 1964-1965 (2 appearances)
‘The Soupy Sales Show’ 1965
‘The Clay Cole Show’ 1965
‘Upbeat’ 1966
‘The Joey Bishop Show’ 1968
‘The Merv Griffin Show’ 1969-1971 (2 appearances)
‘The Mike Neun Show’ 1971
‘The Andy Williams Show’ 1971
‘The Dick Cavett Show’ 1971
Live in Brussels 1972 (40 minute TV broadcast)
‘The Jerry Lewis Telethon’ 1979
Yugoslavia 1991 (news report)

Note that I haven't included Alan Freed's or Patti Page's '50s TV shows, nor things like 'Cal's Corral' 1959, 'Scene At 6:30' 1963 & the Panther Hall 1966 TV broadcast; these almost certainly no longer exist except as audios.

Of course, JLL isn't the only artist with "missing" footage; see my blog for many more by some of my other faves!

http://musicdvdslist.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/my-music-dvd-wants-list_25.html

Hi Peter,
Do you think there's any chance that some of the missing American Bandstand apperances is still around?
The Joey Bishop with Another Place Another Time would be great to mark his comeback in 1968.
tchr

Next

Return to Discussions