Jerry Lee studio publicity photographs

Postby peterchecksfield » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:25 pm

martin bates wrote:
W_Skinner wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:Jerry must've broken the world record for having "food poisoning" & "the flu" the most times.... :wink:

Well he's followed by Elvis by a narrow margin, I think...
Dr. Nick sucks :twisted:

I think Peter is making a reference to the various 'reasons' why Jerry has missed shows. In that respect ,I'm not aware of any engagements ever missed by Elvis........but I'm no expert. I don't see that Dr Nick has anything to do with it.
Given the large number of dates Jerry was regularly doing for many

Though to be fair Jerry rarely missed shows until well into the 80s. During Elvis' lifetime Jerry rarely (if ever) missed shows.
peterchecksfield

Postby W_Skinner » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:28 pm

unchained wrote:Anybody got some good pictures?, cause I just finshed my last two
cd cover projects.:lol:

Maybe you guys can use them too.

http://www.tcb-world.com/unchained/covers_sl/various.html

Excellent work! Many thanks!
I've not forgotten about the pictures, I send you them as soon as I find them at home.
So Long, W.Skinner
have a look at my own R'n'R band: www.dekrauts.rocken.de
W_Skinner

Postby martin bates » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:06 pm

Perk wrote:
Zurich remains the only show from that tour where I've failed to find an audio recording (anyone?).

When you mention it Peter, i wonder if anyone has a recording of that show in Zurich where Jerry was too sick to play, and Chuck Berry jumped in and played piano instead of Jerry. Ought to be interesting to hear what songs Chuck did! I talked with Wolfie about it this summer, but he had no clue either.

Or at least a review from someone who saw it would be interesting! It happened early 90´s without checking exactly.

Perk

I've scoured my old 'Lewis Scene' mags for a set list.....unfortunately there isn't one, but Neil Turner & Peter Hayman sent in a report. (issue 68; July 92.) It was announced Chuck would play first,which was unusual,but he did a great set. then it was announced Jerry was unwell and would not appear,but that Chuck would come out & do some more songs. Kenny & band set up then Chuck came out on guitar & sang "one of his numbers" .He did another,but his guitar was playing up so he sat at the piano & did "some good boogie woogie". It goes on to say that the crowd loved it & Chuck continued a short set at the piano.After Chuck left other un-named piano players & singers came on & did "Lewis numbers" which went down quite well.

Reading about it now,it seems a bizarre tour,with contractual problems all around; the original 9 shows cut to 5 from the start ;some shows booked were 'Legends' shows with Richard & Bo as well as Chuck & Jerry. Jerry pulled out of 2 shows & although the other 3 all turned up,the promoter cancelled them...the second time "an unconfirmed report" said Chuck went out & played for a handful of straglers left in a large stadium ! At another show Jerry & Bo joined Chuck on stage.....Chuck at the piano & Jerry on guitar; Neil writes "by this time all 3 were apparently playing & singing in different keys & the song was concluded shortly after"......you had to be there !

Martin.
martin bates

Postby Maarten K. » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:09 pm

martin bates wrote:At another show Jerry & Bo joined Chuck on stage.....Chuck at the piano & Jerry on guitar; Neil writes "by this time all 3 were apparently playing & singing in different keys & the song was concluded shortly after"......you had to be there !

Not too long ago I received this on dvd. I've read and heard about this historical encounter, so was very pleased to get it. Altough the quality isn't that good, it really made my heart beat a little faster.
Chuck behind the piano and Jerry picking on Chuck's guitar. Really priceless piece of R&R history! Was anyone from this forum at this show? Maybe Pierre was (why is he not a member here?). Would love to hear about it more. Incidentally Jerry wore that Eagle-shirt from Knott's Berry Farm '81 and those pants with the metal rings on the sides (love those!). But his posture wasn't the same as in those old days, so things were pretty tight! :wink:
Maarten K.

Postby martin bates » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:27 am

Maarten K. wrote:
martin bates wrote:At another show Jerry & Bo joined Chuck on stage.....Chuck at the piano & Jerry on guitar; Neil writes "by this time all 3 were apparently playing & singing in different keys & the song was concluded shortly after"......you had to be there !

Not too long ago I received this on dvd. I've read and heard about this historical encounter, so was very pleased to get it. Altough the quality isn't that good, it really made my heart beat a little faster.
Chuck behind the piano and Jerry picking on Chuck's guitar. Really priceless piece of R&R history! Was anyone from this forum at this show? Maybe Pierre was (why is he not a member here?). Would love to hear about it more. Incidentally Jerry wore that Eagle-shirt from Knott's Berry Farm '81 and those pants with the metal rings on the sides (love those!). But his posture wasn't the same as in those old days, so things were pretty tight! :wink:

yes - fabulous !
not wanting to appear a total bookworm.....but FBM No.1 Vol 30 also carries an account -under the heading 'Will somebody throw up the sponge for Jerry Lee'- but still no set list . The same issue of FBM has Thomas Sobczak saying he'll not be willing to work for the club any longer,partly it seems,because of the lack of contributions from fellow
members.
Martin.
martin bates

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:26 am

martin bates wrote:not wanting to appear a total bookworm.....but FBM No.1 Vol 30 also carries an account -under the heading 'Will somebody throw up the sponge for Jerry Lee'- but still no set list .

This was Pierre Pennone's review of the Geneva '91 show (he was annoyed that Wim decided to remove his name). Actually it's one of my favourite audios, with a great version of 'Sea Cruise'!
peterchecksfield

Postby rockin532000 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:47 pm

I can confirm Geneva was a wild show starting at 1.50am and lasting around to 2.40pm. Small club, great atmosphere and I was standing 5 hours (!) in front of the stage in order to have the best view....
Best Wishes
Joerg
rockin532000

Postby martin bates » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:31 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
martin bates wrote:not wanting to appear a total bookworm.....but FBM No.1 Vol 30 also carries an account -under the heading 'Will somebody throw up the sponge for Jerry Lee'- but still no set list .

This was Pierre Pennone's review of the Geneva '91 show (he was annoyed that Wim decided to remove his name). Actually it's one of my favourite audios, with a great version of 'Sea Cruise'!

I have a cassette of that (Geneva) show.....superb; I think Rockin My Life Away might be my favourite version of that song,despite all-too-abrupt ending. Also -a rarity- we hear Jerry apologise to the crowd for being late !
But the write-up I mentioned is for the Wettingen (Zurich) 'no show' we were talking about. FBM July 92. The same issue Thomas Sobczak 'resigns' & complains of a lack of contributions from other members.

Martin.
martin bates

Postby flip54 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:44 pm

PC digs JLL Nawlins music, questions in the house, matron ! ;-))

Frankie Flip

[quote="peterchecksfieldActually it's one of my favourite audios, with a great version of 'Sea Cruise'![/quote]
flip54

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:14 pm

flip54 wrote:PC digs JLL Nawlins music, questions in the house, matron ! ;-))

Frankie Flip

[quote="peterchecksfieldActually it's one of my favourite audios, with a great version of 'Sea Cruise'!
[/quote]

Haha, I actually forgot about Jerry's version of 'Sea Cruise'! I know some people dismiss it as a throwaway, but it's always been one of my favourites from 'The Session' (love the way all the instruments gradually come in during the intro!).
peterchecksfield

Postby Perk » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:55 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
flip54 wrote:PC digs JLL Nawlins music, questions in the house, matron ! ;-))

Frankie Flip

[quote="peterchecksfieldActually it's one of my favourite audios, with a great version of 'Sea Cruise'!

Haha, I actually forgot about Jerry's version of 'Sea Cruise'! I know some people dismiss it as a throwaway, but it's always been one of my favourites from 'The Session' (love the way all the instruments gradually come in during the intro!).[/quote]

Sea Cruise is a heck of a cut! Very tight & loose at the same time. One of the best!!!! I like it myself a lot!!!

Perk
Perk

Postby jarireinikka » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:12 pm

Same here! Very good recording indeed,one of the highlights on Session,although there´s hardly a bad track on that double.
jarireinikka

Previous

Return to Discussions