Jerry Lee studio publicity photographs

Jerry Lee studio publicity photographs

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:58 pm

There's been some great promo shots to go along with the LMS release I think. Here's one that's not in the CD booklet

Are there any more from this photo session on the 'net?

I wonder wher Jerry's last publicity photo session was. I know there have been several magazine article related pro shots, but I suspect Young Blood was the last 'in studio' photo session. And I never liked those much. The LMS ones are so much better!
--
Richard Harvey

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:00 pm

--
Richard Harvey

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:02 pm

--
Richard Harvey

Postby unchained » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:32 pm

I made this poster for fun, and to promote JLL coming to Holland this year 8)

http://www.tcb-world.com/unchained/graphic/JLL.html
unchained

Postby Perk » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:51 pm

I have a feeling i seen one more picture. But as usual i´ll be back.

Perk
Perk

Postby Richard Harvey » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:11 pm

unchained wrote:I made this poster for fun, and to promote JLL coming to Holland this year 8)

Outstanding!

This picture's in B/W on the LMS CD, do you have a nice text free colour version?

It's lovely!

--
Richard Harvey

Postby unchained » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:13 am

unchained

Re: Jerry Lee studio publicity photographs

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:24 am

Richard Harvey wrote:There's been some great promo shots to go along with the LMS release I think. Here's one that's not in the CD booklet

Are there any more from this photo session on the 'net?

I wonder wher Jerry's last publicity photo session was. I know there have been several magazine article related pro shots, but I suspect Young Blood was the last 'in studio' photo session. And I never liked those much. The LMS ones are so much better!

The Youngblood photos were taken in his garden, not in a studio.
peterchecksfield

Postby Richard Harvey » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:50 am

peterchecksfield wrote:The Youngblood photos were taken in his garden, not in a studio.

I wasn't talking about the front cover, I was on about the portraits inside.

I'd be pretty stupid to think the front cover was a studio shot, wouldn't I Peter?
--
Richard Harvey

Postby flip54 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:19 pm

Simply stunning, thanks for sharing

Phil

unchained wrote:Image
flip54

Postby unchained » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:25 pm

Thanks Phil. 8)
unchained

Postby peterchecksfield » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:The Youngblood photos were taken in his garden, not in a studio.

I'd be pretty stupid to think the front cover was a studio shot, wouldn't I Peter?

As a photographer I think I prefer the 1995 photos (though they're nothing special)...the LMS photos are exciting, but they seem a bit 'fake' & over-manipulated somehow (a bit like the album!).

We've discussed this subject before, but Jerry seems to have done very few formal photo sessions over the years. They seemed to use the same few pics from the 50s time & time again, & on something like 'The Killer Rocks On' they used a photo on the front cover which was taken 5 years earlier. The photos on albums like 'Country Class' & 'Best of JLL Vomue 2' seemed to be taken backstage or during rehearsals for TV shows.
peterchecksfield

Postby Andrew McRae » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:27 pm

& on something like 'The Killer Rocks On' they used a photo on the front cover which was taken 5 years earlier

Indeed they did. Whilst for the rear cover of the same LP they dug out one that went back to 1964!

The photo shoot organised by Smash-Mercury in 1967 to illustrate the cover of "Soul My Way" was still being pluundered for new album releases through to "I-40 Country" in 1974.

Of course for many years it was an unwritten rule that all Mercury era CD compilations should feature 1957 Sun publicity shots on the cover, whilst any 'Sun Greatest Hits' set necessarily must show Jerry on stage at Wembley in 1982.....
Andrew McRae

Postby Tommy » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:29 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Richard Harvey wrote:

As a photographer I think I prefer the 1995 photos (though they're nothing special)...the LMS photos are exciting, but they seem a bit 'fake' & over-manipulated somehow (a bit like the album!).

We've discussed this subject before, but Jerry seems to have done very few formal photo sessions over the years. They seemed to use the same few pics from the 50s time & time again, & on something like 'The Killer Rocks On' they used a photo on the front cover which was taken 5 years earlier. The photos on albums like 'Country Class' & 'Best of JLL Vomue 2' seemed to be taken backstage or during rehearsals for TV shows.

Well I can´t really say that LMS sounds more faked and manipulated then Youngblood. There´s at least some live-studio recordings on LMS!
Tommy

Postby martin bates » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:23 pm

unchained wrote:I made this poster for fun, and to promote JLL coming to Holland this year 8)

http://www.tcb-world.com/unchained/graphic/JLL.html

That's an outstanding poster !!.....you did it for fun & to promote Jerry ?
that's the spirit !

Martin.
martin bates

Next

Return to Discussions