Wikipedia page

Wikipedia page

Postby Andrew McRae » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:21 pm

From the current edit of JLL's Wikipedia page...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Lee_Lewis

Lewis's country hits during this period include "What's Made Milwaukee Famous (Has Made A Loser Out of Me)," "She Even Woke Me Up to Say Goodbye," "Middle Age Crazy," "Me & Bobby McGee," "She Still Comes Around (To Love What's Left of Me)", "There Must Be More to Love Than This" and "39 & Holding". By the early 1970s, Lewis had become so popular that Sun (Entertainment Holding Corporation) Records was reissuing old country ballads like "Invitation to Your Party" on singles that also did well on the country music charts. During this era Lewis recorded what many collectors consider his ultimate achievement in country music, the LP "Killer Country".

Is anyone on this forum responsible for this edit? I think it's worth a short debate! Who are these 'many collectors'? "Killer Country" certainly has its strong points, but I wouldn't regard it as JLL's 'ultimate achievement in country music', or put it in the same league as recordings from Smash/Mercury ten years or so earlier...

Of course, I'm interpreting the word 'ultimate' as in 'highest or most significant' rather than the less commonly meant 'final'. If the latter is, indeed, what the author literally intended, then the point might be easier to defend! (though I still wouldn't agree with it!) If that was the case, however, he should have opened the sentence with the phrase 'At the end of this era...' rather than 'During..' !!

Andrew
Andrew McRae

Postby Andrew McRae » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:14 am

Given that nobody's owning up to this, I've taken it upon myself to update the Wikipedia page, making more chronological sense of, and also adding to, the list of country chart hits in the 1970s, and removing the reference lauding "Killer Country" as JLL's 'ultimate achievement'! If whoever feels that they speak for the 'many collectors' who apparently share that opinion wants to put it back in, then no doubt they will! I note that no-one here has thus far sought to defend or support the suggestion, though!

I've also corrected one or two factual errors e.g. the claim that the 1961 Sun hit "What'd I Say" was recorded at 639 Madison Avenue, Memphis, and the numbers of wives and children (previously given as eight and six respectively!)

There's lots more that I might chose to edit but, frankly, can't be bothered... but there seems to be far too much 'opinion' and subjectivity in the current piece. I seem to remember a much more balanced and factual Wikipedia page on JLL in the past....

Andrew
Andrew McRae

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:29 pm

Andrew McRae wrote:Given that nobody's owning up to this, I've taken it upon myself to update the Wikipedia page, making more chronological sense of, and also adding to, the list of country chart hits in the 1970s, and removing the reference lauding "Killer Country" as JLL's 'ultimate achievement'! If whoever feels that they speak for the 'many collectors' who apparently share that opinion wants to put it back in, then no doubt they will! I note that no-one here has thus far sought to defend or support the suggestion, though!

I've also corrected one or two factual errors e.g. the claim that the 1961 Sun hit "What'd I Say" was recorded at 639 Madison Avenue, Memphis, and the numbers of wives and children (previously given as eight and six respectively!)

There's lots more that I might chose to edit but, frankly, can't be bothered... but there seems to be far too much 'opinion' and subjectivity in the current piece. I seem to remember a much more balanced and factual Wikipedia page on JLL in the past....

Andrew

Jerry possibly did have 6 children: Jerry Lee Jnr, Ronnie Guy, Steve Allen, Phoebe, Lori Leigh, Lee (& there's also the one he & Kerrie adopted).
peterchecksfield

Postby Andrew McRae » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:49 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Andrew McRae wrote:Given that nobody's owning up to this, I've taken it upon myself to update the Wikipedia page, making more chronological sense of, and also adding to, the list of country chart hits in the 1970s, and removing the reference lauding "Killer Country" as JLL's 'ultimate achievement'! If whoever feels that they speak for the 'many collectors' who apparently share that opinion wants to put it back in, then no doubt they will! I note that no-one here has thus far sought to defend or support the suggestion, though!

Andrew

Jerry possibly did have 6 children: Jerry Lee Jnr, Ronnie Guy, Steve Allen, Phoebe, Lori Leigh, Lee (& there's also the one he & Kerrie adopted).

Possibly being the operative word here! Speculation has no place on Wiki pages, though! It just jarred anyway in that the writer had suggested 'eight wives' and proceeded to identify the actual six; and then wrote 'six children', elaborating with details of the 'officially' acknowledged four...
Andrew McRae

Postby Logan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:15 pm

how many kids doew jerry have anyways?
Logan

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:30 pm

Logan wrote:how many kids doew jerry have anyways?

Well 2 (or 3) of them died, so he now only has 2 (or 3 - or 4 if you include the former adopted one), though as another one of these possibly isn't biologically his, then maybe he has less.

Hope that clarified things. :wink:
peterchecksfield

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:31 pm

And don't even ask how many times Jerry's been married, as that's even more complicated! :shock:
peterchecksfield

Postby Logan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:34 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:And don't even ask how many times Jerry's been married, as that's even more complicated! :shock:

:lol: by my count its 6 or 7 its not worth figuring out anyway
Logan

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:32 pm

Logan wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:And don't even ask how many times Jerry's been married, as that's even more complicated! :shock:

He's had 6 wives, but that doesn't mean he's been properly married to all of them. Yes, he definitely married wives 1 (Dorothy), 4 (Jaren), 5 (Shawn) & 6 (Kerrie). But when he married wife 2 (Jane) he hadn't divorced Dorothy yet, & when he married wife 3 (Myra) he hadn't divorced Jane yet. So maybe he never really married those two... :oops:
peterchecksfield

Postby Logan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:37 pm

peterchecksfield wrote:
Logan wrote:

He's had 6 wives, but that doesn't mean he's been properly married to all of them. Yes, he definitely married wives 1 (Dorothy), 4 (Jaren), 5 (Shawn) & 6 (Kerrie). But when he married wife 2 (Jane) he hadn't divorced Dorothy yet, & when he married wife 3 (Myra) he hadn't divorced Jane yet. So maybe he never really married those two... :oops:

But didnt he marry myra twice to be proberly married to her?
Logan

Postby peterchecksfield » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:42 pm

Logan wrote:

Yes, so that complicates things further, as it means he's (possibly) been married 7 times. :?
peterchecksfield

Postby Logan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:13 am

peterchecksfield wrote:
Logan wrote:

Yes, so that complicates things further, as it means he's (possibly) been married 7 times. :?

Your right Peter its way to compilicated to figure out :lol: :roll:
Logan

Postby Tony Papard » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:29 pm

Logan wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
Logan wrote:

Your right Peter its way to compilicated to figure out :lol: :roll:

And then there's Charlotte Bumpus who he didn't marry, but was his girlfriend for many years. She is seen with him arriving at the theater in 'American Hot Wax'.
Long ago in Ferriday down in Louisiana, They all watched Jerry play and pump that old piana

My blog: http://www.tonypapard.info/

My Jerry Lee Lewis page:
http://www.btinternet.com/~tony.papard/JERRYLEELEWIS.HTM
Tony Papard

Postby jllWAfan1982 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:05 am

Can you tell more of Charlotte Bumpus?
If it's good enough for me,
It should be good enough for you.
--Jerry Lee Lewis
jllWAfan1982

Postby peterchecksfield » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:15 am

jllWAfan1982 wrote:Can you tell more of Charlotte Bumpus?

(1) She's Kenny Lovelace's stepdaughter.

(2) Jerry started dating her in 1972 when she was 15.

(3) He used to brag that she could "suck the chrome off a car fender".

:wink:

Everyone seems to like Charlotte though, even Kay Martin (who seems to hate all of Jerry's other ex's with the exception of Myra) & Kerrie (who made Charlotte welcome at Jerry's birthday concerts).
peterchecksfield

Next

Return to Discussions