Jerry Lee ticket prices

Jerry Lee ticket prices

Postby Richard Harvey » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:05 pm

Jerry Lee has always been reasonably priced ticket-wise I feel. Yet I got an email that says . .

>> Just located my JLL ticket which shows that I paid NOK 670, that's
>> about US $114 (in GBP close to £57), for the ticket, this was March
>> this year.

Wow! This is for one of the March shows. Almost TWICE as much as I paid for one of the UK 2006 shows.
Now we hear there are rumours of poor ticket sales and I wonder if Jerry is pricing himself out the market?

There's recently been a kickback against 'legends' being a tad greedy with ticket prices. I'll past a link under this post.
--
Richard Harvey

Re: Jerry Lee ticket prices

Postby Richard Harvey » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:08 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:There's recently been a kickback against 'legends' being a tad greedy with ticket prices. I'll past a link under this post.

Right, here's something pasted from a Bowie forum.

-------------------------
--------------------------

According to The London Evening Standard the likes of Elton, The Who and
George Miachael have had to cancel European gigs due to poor ticket demand.
The main explanation is the expensive ticket prices.

Allegedly The Stones had to cancel a gig in Paris this year where the top
whack was £500. A later gig was added at the more modest price of £100. Even
Streisand has been affected as the paper alleges she has been singing to
half empty shows. The Standard doesn't specifically mention any UK gigs that
have been affected in this way but I do know Rod Stewart tickets aren't
exactly flying off the shelves for his concerts.

I for one think it's great news for fans. It will hopefully dampen those
greedy stars enthusiasm for overcharging fans for the privilege to see them.
Concert tours are now seen as more important than album slaes in making
money. Thankfully Bowie's tickets have been pretty reasonable priced on the
last tour plus he gives value for money playing in excess of 2 hours at most
gigs.
--

So, the Stones are asking for £100 a head.

Greedy bastards, pure and simple.
--
Richard Harvey

Postby peterchecksfield » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:10 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:Jerry Lee has always been reasonably priced ticket-wise I feel. Yet I got an email that says . .

>> this year.

Wow! This is for one of the March shows. Almost TWICE as much as I paid for one of the UK 2006 shows.
Now we hear there are rumours of poor ticket sales and I wonder if Jerry is pricing himself out the market?

There's recently been a kickback against 'legends' being a tad greedy with ticket prices. I'll past a link under this post.

Jerry reputedly got paid double his usual amount for the last European tour. So if he's drastically increasing his fees then the tickets are going to get much more expensive (but the shows don't get any longer...).
peterchecksfield

market forces.....

Postby martin bates » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:17 pm

like anyone else I think Jerry will ask for what money he thinks he's worth,in the lean years he dropped his prices. Then there's a careful balance with what people are prepared to pay. The likes of the stones,elton john etc. have long said that touring doesn't make money -but it generates the revenue from current or forthcoming albums. Even a 'greatest hits' release will be supported by a similarly themed tour. For Jerry,I suspect touring has always generated a large part of his income.
Although his fee may be higher since LMS, on the march tour he played to larger crowds- so there is no reason that prices shopuld go up unless the promoter also feels he can charge more for JLL these days.
In the article quoted it said the top price for the stones was £500 then reduced to £100......but whereas lucky JLL fans can find themselves sitting in the best areas or even backstage, I think I'm right in saying groups like the stones charge for similar perks so I would imagine those 'top whack' prices are for those deals,while the normal tickets would be a lot more affordable.
How much are the Spice Girls charging,I wonder ?
Martin.
martin bates

Re: market forces.....

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:25 pm

martin bates wrote:like anyone else I think Jerry will ask for what money he thinks he's worth,in the lean years he dropped his prices. Then there's a careful balance with what people are prepared to pay. The likes of the stones,elton john etc. have long said that touring doesn't make money -but it generates the revenue from current or forthcoming albums. Even a 'greatest hits' release will be supported by a similarly themed tour. For Jerry,I suspect touring has always generated a large part of his income.
Although his fee may be higher since LMS, on the march tour he played to larger crowds- so there is no reason that prices shopuld go up unless the promoter also feels he can charge more for JLL these days.
In the article quoted it said the top price for the stones was £500 then reduced to £100......but whereas lucky JLL fans can find themselves sitting in the best areas or even backstage, I think I'm right in saying groups like the stones charge for similar perks so I would imagine those 'top whack' prices are for those deals,while the normal tickets would be a lot more affordable.
How much are the Spice Girls charging,I wonder ?
Martin.

I bet Showaddywaddy are cheaper! :lol:
peterchecksfield

ps.

Postby martin bates » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:30 pm

Thes days of course,the big tours are always sponsored; the equipment is more readily available & venues are suitably equipped....driving prices down for the cost of staging an event. I suppose given the huge numbers attending stadium events there will be a lot of money in it for those at that end of the market. But the regular tours, or when those acts play the smaller venues, won't make the big money.
Martin.
martin bates

Re: ps.

Postby Richard Harvey » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:39 pm

Name artists don't make so much money on 'records' these days. What with MP3s, CDrs, free download sites etc. . Touring is their biggest commodity (sp?).

But when I see millionaire tossers like Jagger asking for a week's wages from normal working class people it fair makes my blood boil.

Fat cat bastard corporate greedhead rock tossers.

Phew! I feel better now!
--
Richard Harvey

Postby ChrisdeB » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:05 pm

The Stones' I know geneate most of their income from touring due to bad buisness dealing in the 60's when they lost the rights to their Decca material. Jagger and Richards are richer due to being the songwriters. Prices for concerts have been gradually going up for years. I would personally not pay an obscene amount of money to see anyone these days I would wait to the DVD to come out!! Bob Dylan's concerts are still very reasonable priced 35 pounds on the last tour. I would also be weary of paying a lot to see Jerry Lee if he is only going to play for about 45 minutes!! Unless of course it is Showaddywaddy!!!
ChrisdeB

Re: ps.

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:31 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:Name artists don't make so much money on 'records' these days. What with MP3s, CDrs, free download sites etc. . Touring is their biggest commodity (sp?).

But when I see millionaire tossers like Jagger asking for a week's wages from normal working class people it fair makes my blood boil.

Fat cat bastard corporate greedhead rock tossers.

Phew! I feel better now!

Mick Jagger is God. So he deserves everything he can get.

More importantly he's from Kent, the same as me (in fact he had his 1990 weding reception in the hotel over the road from me, though these days it's a run down hostel for asylum seekers!).
peterchecksfield

Postby peterchecksfield » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:32 pm

ChrisdeB wrote:The Stones' I know geneate most of their income from touring due to bad buisness dealing in the 60's when they lost the rights to their Decca material. Jagger and Richards are richer due to being the songwriters. Prices for concerts have been gradually going up for years. I would personally not pay an obscene amount of money to see anyone these days I would wait to the DVD to come out!! Bob Dylan's concerts are still very reasonable priced 35 pounds on the last tour. I would also be weary of paying a lot to see Jerry Lee if he is only going to play for about 45 minutes!! Unless of course it is Showaddywaddy!!!

The tour Jerry did in 2004 with Chuck Berry was good value at £45 for the both of them, as were those "Legends" tours, providing you're a fan of both / all of them that is.
peterchecksfield

Postby ChrisdeB » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:39 pm

Thats true even though at the show at the RFH Chuck Berry was crap again.......
ChrisdeB

Postby Svein » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:09 pm

Richard Harvey wrote:Jerry Lee has always been reasonably priced ticket-wise I feel. Yet I got an email that says . .

>> this year.

That show in Oslo had an extra high ticket price.. I paid even more for my ticket (670 was the cheapest ones). This was probably because the venue was so small (ca.1200 seats), and not because JLL got paid too much. In Copenhagen (ca. 8500 seats)I could see JLL for half the price a couple of days earlier, and the Swedish shows was not as expensive as the Oslo show either.. Paris was, but that was a REAL high class venue!!
Svein

Recent Tickets

Postby catmom68 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:10 pm

Members;

I attended the French Lick show in February and the tickets ran about $65.00 each. HOWEVER, Laura and I are attending in N.J. and there were five or so different price ranges...We paid more for the first and second row seating (naturally) but I am now more familiar with their take on supply and demand.

I have been an active Eric Clapton fanclub member for quite some time. I admire his compassion and his respect for the general population who have collected his work over the years. (Rich or poor) He is actually having the Crossroads fest in Chicago this year, and he made available to his fanclub members pre-sale tickets to see probably 10 or more famous guitarists. Those tickets were something in the range of $75.00.....You won't get far in Jerry's camp with this mentality, however...
:shock:
catmom68

Postby flip54 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:43 pm

Since screaching diva Barbie Streisand was asking £500, yes £500, for the best seats in her London show then you could roughly watch a JLL tour and buy a couple of Bear Family box sets for that

I saw the Who's recent local stadium gig and reckoned it was good value at £55 for a long set, great sound and visuals (brilliant Elvis tribute song) and two support bands (ie more drink time) The biggest rip off is the Ticketmaster etc charges and admin cost ( £4 for a blydi postage stamp and it wasn't even a Penny Black!! and what the hell is a booking fee if you do all the work online

Phil

ps Jagger can't be God, it's Keef "Stuff yer knighthood matey"

peterchecksfield wrote:
ChrisdeB wrote:The Stones' I know geneate most of their income from touring due to bad buisness dealing in the 60's when they lost the rights to their Decca material. Jagger and Richards are richer due to being the songwriters. Prices for concerts have been gradually going up for years. I would personally not pay an obscene amount of money to see anyone these days I would wait to the DVD to come out!! Bob Dylan's concerts are still very reasonable priced 35 pounds on the last tour. I would also be weary of paying a lot to see Jerry Lee if he is only going to play for about 45 minutes!! Unless of course it is Showaddywaddy!!!

The tour Jerry did in 2004 with Chuck Berry was good value at £45 for the both of them, as were those "Legends" tours, providing you're a fan of both / all of them that is.
flip54

Postby ChrisdeB » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:54 pm

Charlie Watts can't be far behind......
ChrisdeB

Return to Discussions