Don't f.ck with the Lewises

Re: Don't f.ck with the Lewises

Postby PeterC » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:06 pm

Rocky wrote:Peter, in doing the detective work concerning Jerry at Mockingbird Hill Park, you are correct. #1. Russell did not return to playing drums with Jerry until 1968 as Morris Tarrant was drummer in 1967. #2-Mockingbird Hill Park is a summer thing, open from May-September. It is also a country music park...not rock. Jerry performed only rock in 1967. He did play there on September 8, 1968. He played there again on August 24, 1969. I have 90% of his May-September schedule in 1967 and Mockingbird Hill Park is not listed. I'm not saying he did not play Anderson in 1967, but it is highly unlikely.

Thank you Paul. Perhaps someone can post the info on the Facebook link? She's just blocked me for daring to collect her... :roll:
PeterC

Postby Piet » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:32 pm

PeterC wrote: She's just blocked me for daring to collect her... :roll:

That's why this topic is called "Don't f.ck with the Lewises" :evil:
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby PeterC » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:37 pm

Piet wrote:
PeterC wrote: She's just blocked me for daring to collect her... :roll:

That's why this topic is called "Don't f.ck with the Lewises" :evil:

IUt could just as easily be titled "Don't f.ck with Checksfield"! :wink:

Unlike most fans, I treat those people the same way they treat everyone else (minus the BS), & they don't like it. :lol:
PeterC

Postby Rocky » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:41 pm

On Jerry Lee Lewis.com there is a second photo from the same set as the one posted on Frankie's facebook. In it, Kenny is playing the fiddle and Jerry electric guitar. I'm not positive, but I don't think Kenny began playing fiddle on stage till Jerry went country in 1968.
Rocky

Postby PeterC » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Rocky wrote:On Jerry Lee Lewis.com there is a second photo from the same set as the one posted on Frankie's facebook. In it, Kenny is playing the fiddle and Jerry electric guitar. I'm not positive, but I don't think Kenny began playing fiddle on stage till Jerry went country in 1968.

Perk kindly sent me a few pics. One of them features bass player Ed DeBruhl; do you know when he joined? Sometime in 1968 or 1969.
Last edited by PeterC on Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterC

Postby Rocky » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:35 am

Peter, the bottom photos do look to be the same venue. I can say that Mockingbird Hill Park in Anderson was an outdoor venue, and looking at the side opening of the stage you can see crowds of people outside. I also notice the pianos, while both white, seem to be different. The color photos show an upright while the b/w photos show a grand. Also, Jerry dresses much different in the 2 b/w photos. One could be an earlier show and one a later...explaining that. I'll get back to you after some more detective work. By the way, Jerry played 5 years consecutive at Mockingbird Hill Park; 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972.
Rocky

Postby Rocky » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:59 am

Peter. Back at ya'. The b/w bottom photos were definitely taken at Mockingbird Hill Park in Anderson, Indiana...not Cincinnati. I've checked photos of other entertainers who played there and the white grillwork seen at bottom of stage, the side louvers over top of stage, the background, and all jive. The park also was open from the 50s,60s,70s, 80s, and Cash, Parton, Lynn, Twitty,...well every entertainer played there in country music from May-September. It was deserted and torn down in 2010. Dozens of photos of other stars that played there were taken.
Sometime in the late 70s a roof with side post was built over the audience so they could be out of the rain and hot sun. Because Jerry had a country album out late in 1965 and the single "Green, Green Grass of Home", they did book him there in the summer of 1966. Possible these b/w photos may be from that time???
Rocky

Re: Mockinbird Hill Park, Anderson, Indiana 1967

Postby musicmanmachine88 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:49 am

I seriously can't believe arguing over something that my daddy shot and my Uncle Paul in the summer of 1967. How do I know for sure it is the same venue? Because on the door it has a portrait of Marty Robbins whom was on that show (but they left it on there) (the stage door) right behind Tarp. My parents sent those photo's and subsequent other non-published photo's - all of these photo's that are on here are mine. Of course today I guess it is okay to steal them without getting the owner's permission.

I have an 8 x 10 as I explained to Peter - of Mockinbird Hill Park which they used for a promotional packet (empty) - which was shot later (however) the designs on the wall are the same and who is on the door even though it was replaced as well (Marty Robbins). It no longer exist which is sad.

But I cannot believe an argument over the year when it is stamped on my father who is 73 photo packets along with the year of the show - my mother and father have all of the showbooks (the things you get when you attend a show with all of the artists appearing) - very rare stuff if you're a collector. My prize collection out of the Mockingbird Hill Park photo's are the autographs that I received from Jerry signing them and one that Marty Robbins signed in the program with his photo on it. My mother gave me that. These photo's were presented to Jerry and Kenneth Lovelace in 2000 from the late Honorable Frank O'Bannon from the State of Indiana with a gold engraved cutout of the State of Indiana. I think they're priceless. The 8 x 10 I have is signed by Buck Hutcheson but will scan it and send it to whoever Emails me at jeffprater88@gmail.com

You will see the same designs on the wall (looks like wire) but they shot it like a promotional piece of the place empty. I have no idea when this was shot because it was in color - where Mockinbird Hill Park used to stand is now a trailer court in Anderson, Indiana roughly 60 miles from here. As far as Kenneth playing the fiddle - he's played the fiddle ever since he started with Jerry. Don't take my word for it call Kenneth. These are some very good photo's and Jurgen who runs the 1st Bavarian Web Site got those photo's from me - with my permission but they're not the entire set. I have Marty Robbins on the same show. I'm not engaging just clarifying that it was indeed the summer of 67. The only thing I can remember since I was only 3 from that show was my father holding me up around his neck (I was sitting up on his back) and I was afraid I was going to fall.

As a musician myself (I use that term compared to a lot of the talent I see today very carefully) - I've come to respect Peter in many ways. He is very sharp, wise and very articulate when it comes to dates, discography stuff like that. But I am certain and have the proof this show was in the summer of 1967. I would have to drive over to my parents to look at the dates and if I can try to bargain with them to let me leave with the programs so I can scan them I will. Wish me luck. The photo's that are on Jerry Lee's website - Phoebe Lewis was given permission from my family (The Prater's) to use those photo's - I think my parents signed off on the rights ONLY TO PHOEBE LEWIS and to JERRY LEE if my memory serves me correct.

But as far as taking images that belong to others (as a photographer yourself Peter) is rude and inconsistent with the standards set by photographers. I have no problem sharing anything in my collection that has been handed down to me from my parents - but I don't appreciate Peter you insinuating that my 73 year old father is a liar and untrustworthy. Hell I was only 3 years old so it is impossible for me to know the details of the show itself. I was kinda honored that Frankie Jean and her family chose to honor those who send pictures to her by putting them up. Then for an unnecessary fight to break out - I don't understand. Music should bring us all together not apart. Believe it or not Peter the Universe does not revolve around Peter Checksfield nor does it around Jeffrey Prater. But the photo of Jerry Lee Lewis playing Kenny's guitar has a copyright on it - it has been cropped out and so does the one on Jerry's website. I know for a fact that my parents (Jimmy and Christine) released those STRICTLY AND FOR THE USE to PHOEBE LEWIS and to her father. I know they signed a waiver and that the property becomes the sole property of the Lewis Estate or something to that effect.

Peter don't make an argument out of something so foolish. I'm done discussing this issue. Why on earth would any fan - any fan - want to constantly engage with members of the Lewis Family? I don't understand that? It makes no rational sense.

Plus what is with the "Don't f**k with the Lewises" or "Don't f**k with Peter Checksfield"? What does that have to do with the fans who would like the information? The two have nothing to do with it. You're talking about a documentary and photo's shot during the summer of 1967 by my father and my late Uncle Paul Hickey. For those of you whom I've not heard from in a while - God Bless!

Jeffrey Prater
musicmanmachine88

Postby musicmanmachine88 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:01 am

This message is to Rocky. I know they booked Jerry in 1967. My parents have the proof. You're exactly right as far as when the park was opened and when it was closed. Jerry did do country music in his acts in 1967. I disagree with that one. You Win Again is country. I think it is amusing. I wish it was still there. If you want a color scanned photo of it - I can send it - be sure and include your Email. Take care and it's always nice to agree to disagree. As far as Jerry's dates - ANYONE on this forum knows that is subject to change at whim. Are we talking about Elvis Presley or Jerry Lee Lewis here? Come on - Jerry Lee is notorious and I love the man - for not doing all of his shows, and doing shows that a lot of people have never heard of. Hell he performed here I think in October of 1985 I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) at the Foellinger Theatre and he kicked major you know what. Great show - have photo's from that show. Very cold day though. This is an outdoor venue as well. Peter and Rocky is pretty pathetic when you have me second guessing my parents - which is not a good thing. LOL - Maybe I wasn't born in the sixties like I thought. Who knows and who gives a damn?
musicmanmachine88

Postby PeterC » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:59 am

I'm still not convinced...

How do you explain the presence of Russell Smith and Ed DeBruhl, both musicians who weren't in Jerry's band in 1967? Also (like Paul), I'm not convinced that Kenny used a fiddle on stage prior to the "country comeback" of 1968 (no-one said that Jerry didn't play country music prior to 1968 Jeffrey). Lastly, the clothes Jerry is wearing & the (slight) extra weight in the face makes me believe this is from late 1969, around the time of The Toronto Peace Festival.

Unless I see more convincing proof (a ticket stub, a poster, a newspaper cutting), then I'm sticking with 1968 or (more likely) 1969.
PeterC

Postby bailbath » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:31 am

Just a quick intervention. I am currently not on forum much due to a bereavement in my family so time is taken with that currently. I will be able to give the forum more time in due course.
In the meantime please remember the forum rules. Thank you. Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby PeterC » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:36 am

bailbath wrote:Just a quick intervention. I am currently not on forum much due to a bereavement in my family so time is taken with that currently. I will be able to give the forum more time in due course.

This is an excellent debate to try to straighten up "facts", no-one's being rude to anyone or anything (apart from Frankie).

Sorry about your bereavement. I'm going through something similar at the moment (I've a family funeral next friday), not an easy thing.

Take care,

Peter "Pumpkin' Eater" Checksfield.
PeterC

Postby bailbath » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:05 am

Sorry to hear your news as well Peter, same day as my Sister's funeral. I was trying to make sure nothing escalates that's all after all there is history of that here....
All the best
Ian
bailbath

Site Admin

Postby Piet » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:38 am

PeterC wrote:
bailbath wrote:Just a quick intervention. I am currently not on forum much due to a bereavement in my family so time is taken with that currently. I will be able to give the forum more time in due course.

This is an excellent debate to try to straighten up "facts", no-one's being rude to anyone or anything (apart from Frankie).

Sorry about your bereavement. I'm going through something similar at the moment (I've a family funeral next friday), not an easy thing.

Take care,

Peter "Pumpkin' Eater" Checksfield.

All the best to you my friend.
You're right, nothing going on and a little humor isn't bad at all.
(Didn't know you have "eaten" Pupkin' , what year was that) :lol:
My life will never be the same.
Piet

Postby musicmanmachine88 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:57 am

PeterC wrote:I'm still not convinced...

How do you explain the presence of Russell Smith and Ed DeBruhl, both musicians who weren't in Jerry's band in 1967? Also (like Paul), I'm not convinced that Kenny used a fiddle on stage prior to the "country comeback" of 1968 (no-one said that Jerry didn't play country music prior to 1968 Jeffrey). Lastly, the clothes Jerry is wearing & the (slight) extra weight in the face makes me believe this is from late 1969, around the time of The Toronto Peace Festival.

Unless I see more convincing proof (a ticket stub, a poster, a newspaper cutting), then I'm sticking with 1968 or (more likely) 1969.

The thing is it really doesn't matter. I know what the programme says and I'm not going to even engage about something so stupid. Someone shares a photo - hell you should've worked for Scotland Yard Peter. I mean for someone who quoted to me on August 28, 2010 "I have no interest in the Lewis Family" I find it ironic you are once again engaging. I'm convinced because my parents have the negatives, and the programm - of course maybe everything was printed wrong in those days. If Jesus of Nazareth stepped on earth and told you who He was you would want an I.D. card. Like I said I'm finished with this discussion. I know what year I first seen Jerry believe it or not even though I was three. You never did address the issue of publishing photo's that belong to Phoebe Lewis and the Lewis Family - you're a photographer - what if someone did that to you? I guess that subject wasn't addressed. Sorry about your bereavement - but I'm sticking to your quote to me on the 28th of August, 2011 (my earlier date was incorrect) "I have NO INTEREST in the Lewis Family." - Peter Checksfield
musicmanmachine88

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions