Elektra outtakes?



Re: Elektra outtakes?

Postby PeterC » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:00 pm

peter molecz wrote:The only problem are the so called "unreleased Bones Howe sessions" which are at the moment only useable in 2nd or 3rd generation audio tapes.


Presumably Elektra/Warners still have these in their archives (that's assuming Rolf doesn't have them), but otherwise I agree - it's Bear Family we should be encouraging. First of all though we need to know whether or not Rolf would be willing to work with them. Maybe Thomas or anyone else who knows him could find out? Then if we get a positive answer we can all start petitioning Bear Family.

I still think an "Elektra and beyond" (or at least an "Elektra and MCA") box set would be the best solution. Ludicrously the MCA albums haven't even been released on CD in their original forms (forget the ACE CDs, as most songs were remixes, overdubbed or alternate takes).
PeterC

 
Posts: 3301
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Elektra outtakes?

Postby PirateHook » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:23 am

It would be really really great to have a box (Detailed like the new sun box) but i have my thoughts of record companies holding unreleased stuff until they can get so much as possible profit of it. As a fan i really really hate it because the time doesn't stand still. I maybe should have become a businessman so i could help us with this.
PirateHook

 
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:50 pm

Re: Elektra outtakes?

Postby PeterC » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:37 am

PirateHook wrote:It would be really really great to have a box (Detailed like the new sun box) but i have my thoughts of record companies holding unreleased stuff until they can get so much as possible profit of it. As a fan i really really hate it because the time doesn't stand still. I maybe should have become a businessman so i could help us with this.


It's not a record company holding onto this stuff, it is indeed just a businessman...

I'm still awaiting Thomas' reply on whether Rolfie would even be willing to negotiate with Bear Family (or other record companies)... if not perhaps someone else who knows him can ask? Let's get the ball rolling!
PeterC

 
Posts: 3301
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Elektra outtakes?

Postby Maarten K. » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:29 pm

Didn't Rolf give the rights to JLL? That's always my assumption. The same with the rights of the Bocholt concerts.
Maarten K.

 
Posts: 567
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Elektra outtakes?

Postby PeterC » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:56 pm

Maarten K. wrote:Didn't Rolf give the rights to JLL? That's always my assumption.


He gave him the master tapes, but I doubt if Jerry has the sole rights to release them (if he does then we're f*cked!).
PeterC

 
Posts: 3301
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Elektra outtakes?

Postby Perk » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:14 pm

I remember seeing the auction on ebay back in 2000 or 2001 when Eddie Kilroy sold those tapes. It was for 5000 dollars if i remember correctly. I recall this was just for the tapes and not the legal rights. If Jerry got the master tapes now he don´t have any legal rights to them either, it´s still with the record company i assume.

I might be out sailing my ship alone in my thoughts though.
Perk

 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 1:49 pm

Re: Elektra outtakes?

Postby PeterC » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:20 pm

Perk wrote:I remember seeing the auction on ebay back in 2000 or 2001 when Eddie Kilroy sold those tapes. It was for 5000 dollars if i remember correctly. I recall this was just for the tapes and not the legal rights. If Jerry got the master tapes now he don´t have any legal rights to them either, it´s still with the record company i assume.

I might be out sailing my ship alone in my thoughts though.


Yes, I'm pretty sure too this is the situation. Of course they still need to negotiate with Rolfie who has the professionally mixed tapes... pointless asking Jerry for the unmixed masters, as they're probably "lost" somewhere or "his people" will want a ridiculous amount of money.

These need to be done why Rolf is still around. Otherwise I still think we'll have the same situation as Gary Skala's archives (ie lost forever).
PeterC

 
Posts: 3301
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Elektra outtakes?

Postby peter molecz » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:55 pm

In our discussions we probably overlooked the following:

in 1982/83 (?) there was a lawsuit between Jerry and the record company (Elektra/Warner). When I remember right, Jerry won this lawsuit and got not only the rights for all unissued Elektra material, but also the master tapes. I´m not sure, that he still has the stuff, as the IRS sold much of his property by auction in the late 80´s. Dave Travis owned in this way the unissued MCA material, released on SCR and Stomper Time. It´s not completely unlikely, that
the Elektra tapes are in the hand of an unknown person. (Rolf won propably a production copy for the producer)

All in all, IMO Jerry must be willing to release the Elektra stuff. This isn´t completely impossible, as it seems Knox Phillips got him lately in the boat to release the first part of the Knox Phillips sessions.

Peter M.
peter molecz

 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:35 am

Re: Elektra outtakes?

Postby PeterC » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:23 pm

peter molecz wrote:This isn´t completely impossible, as it seems Knox Phillips got him lately in the boat to release the first part of the Knox Phillips sessions.


The difference is that Knox Phillips had these in his possession. With the Elektra stuff it seems that we're relying on either Jerry supplying the tapes (possibly lost or stolen) or Rolf supplying them (who it seems hasn't tried to do anything after owning them for around 15 years).

Someone here (apart from Thomas) must know Rolf personally... can they ask if he'd be willing to release them to an interested record company? :?:
PeterC

 
Posts: 3301
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Elektra outtakes?

Postby Amadeu » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:00 pm

Still waiting for an answer? :D
Amadeu

 
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:24 pm
Location: Barcelona,Catalonia

Previous

Return to Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest